Our Sweet and Crazy Coonhound ...

Our Sweet and Crazy Coonhound ...
Run Free: birthdate unknown - Oct. 17 2008

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

how much walking?

I feel highly accountable about having made a choice to have a dog in a condo. Especially a dog that was a hunting dog in his previous incarnation. I imagine woods, endless exercise, excitement and lots of space. Although the reality may have been too many hours in a wire-fronted cage, chewing his teeth to the gumline and howling insanely for attention. Still, I have moments of trying too hard not to let "condo" become a bad place for a dog.

A friend told me that without 30 minutes of walking a day, a dog will go "psycho." This, I believe is from the Dog Whisperer. (Actually, Millan suggests a 45-minute powerwalk every morning, with the human enforcing good walk behavior.)

Booker gets alot more than 30 minutes, which is generally somewhere in the form of:

20 minutes at 6am
90 minutes at the dog park (running off leash) or 60-90 minute power walk -- for example, three miles from the beach to home
30 minutes at 3-ish
30 minutes at 6-ish
30 minutes at 10pm or later

When I take Booker out for the 30 minute walks, we do just that - we WALK. A different route every time and I try to get up to a good pace for at least part of the time, although there is always a lot of sniffing that needs to be done.

I make a really diligent effort, and David and Samantha contribute significant leash-time as well.

I will tell you one thing, "psycho" often has nothing to do with walk time.

No comments: