Our Sweet and Crazy Coonhound ...

Our Sweet and Crazy Coonhound ...
Run Free: birthdate unknown - Oct. 17 2008

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

danger ... danger ... danger

Today there was one of these horrid things dead in the parking lot at the dog park. Road squish.

Yesterday, there was a huge one hopping around by the poopbag dispenser.

It's an invasive, non-native species of Florida, called a Bufo Toad, or Cane Toad. They are extreme
ly poisonous - excreting a milky substance from the glands behind their eyes. Chomping on one of these guys is fatal within minutes for a small dog, and will kill a large dog in a matter of hours ... seizures, respiratory failure. Not a pretty picture. The secretions will cause severe skin irritation to a human.

When we saw it at the dog park yesterday, one of Rick's golden retrievers was after it -- he grabbed his dog and shouted for everyone to look
out. The dogs were quickly moved to the smaller fenced off area of the park, and then we carefully caught the toad with an aluminum bowl and flung it over the brick wall. This is a serious invasion -- we all have to be vigilant at the park now, especially if our dogs will chase or mouth the loathsome creatures. If you find one in your yard (they love to eat dog food -- so DO NOT leave a bowl sitting outside!) the recommended method of disposing of them is to seal in a ziplock and FREEZE it for three days. I don't think i want a Bufo next to the Lean Cuisines!

Booker has no interest in them at all. The dog park is beautiful, and there are many things much more intriguing than a hideous, and deadly, toad. Booker likes to lead the way down the middle of the paved path, checking out the doggie-crowd and baying for everyone to follow him.

I had no idea that this danger was hopping around our neighborhood. We didn't have these guys in Chicago, where the whole city becomes a giant freezer in the winter.

5 comments:

Maggie & Mitch said...

Wow! We had no idea that there was such a thing as a poisonous toad! How scary!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Jan's Funny Farm said...

We've seen dogs in the news lately that have eaten a poisonous toad. Glad Booker doesn't have any interest in them.

We read your comment on Rover's post on domestic violence and stopped by. We read some of the early posts. It's great Booker is retired and has a home where he is loved.

purrs and tail wags

River said...

That's scary! I only just heard of those things. I doubt my beagles would leave them alone--esp. if it moved! They feel compelled to understand things with their mouths. Glad to hear that Booker mostly likes to greet and meet and howl (typical coonhound, what a sweetie) and he's not interested in those evil toads. I hope everyone stays safe.

love & wags,
River

Kess & Her Mama said...

Saw the dog swallowing toad on the news too. Glad Booker doesn't try to check it out. We have a resident frog in our flower pot during the rainy season. Don't think it's poisonous though. I just let it be.

Gussie said...

ooof. glad we don't have to worry about poisonous toads (or poisonous anything else) in our neck of the woods. our main concern is to avoid pools of anti-freeze. :-(
Booker, you are so handsome!
Gus n Jake